Friday, February 04, 2011

Wrapping Paper Organizer

A gift for my mom....she is always wrapping her presents in fancy gift wrap to match the Christmas decor at her house.  Also, all the kids show up with our presents unwrapped and have to use her paper to do last minute wrapping.




Don't knock the paper...it's what I could scrounge up at my house (the rental house, since all our Christmas stuff is still in storage!)  It will look better with her fancy paper loaded onto it.

And here are my pitiful bows/ribbons.


I used green spray paint that my mom had on hand.  I did change the plans slightly. I substituted some of the wood that I could not find at Menards.  I allowed more length for the dowels because I know my mom uses extra long wrapping paper, not just the standard rolls that are in the picture.

I finished this in time for my mom to use it for wrapping gifts this year, which was a big accomplishment since I was juggling a newborn and toddler.


  • Materials:
    1. 2’ x 4’ x 5 mm piece of birch plywood $7.39 
    2. 1 each of 1” x 4” x 8’ poplar board – asked to cut in half $11.76 
    3. 1 each of 1” x 4” x 4’ poplar board trimmed cut into 2 pieces that are 22” long (could not find 1” x 3” x 4”) $5.88 
    4. Unable to FIND, sub piece above: 1 piece 1/2” x 4” x 2’ poplar; 
    5. Cup hooks; 
    6. eight 36” long dowel rods measuring 3/8 inch width; $0.35 each = $2.80 
    7. 2” nails, $1.48 for box 
    8. 2 each “D” ring hangers; $2.99 
    9. primer and paint. Spray paint $7
  • Total Cost: About $35.00
  • Craft Source: I found this idea at Centsational Girl
  • Time Invested: Centsational Girl said it took her 2 hours invested over 2 days.  This was my first ever project making something from wood, trying to figure out what I was doing, balancing a newborn and a toddler.  This took me weeks of squeezing in minutes here and there.  Way too much time priming and spray painting.  I even needed help hammering the nails and getting the drill all the way through the wood.  It's safe to say it took me much more than 2 hours.
  • Feedback: My mom said it was hard to know how much paper she needed to wrap a present, so she found herself pulling the roll off and laying it out on the ground before she cut it.  She 




No comments: